Monday, September 5, 2011

Perfect Stranger

Are they still lies 
If no one believes them?
Are they still gifts 
If no one receives them?
Are they beautiful words
If no one reads them?
Did I kiss your mouth
Or had you stopped breathing? 
Did I bind your wounds
Or were you not bleeding?
Were you already gone
Or was I just leaving?
Wasn't it really mine
Or was I still thieving?

                                                                                                                                         
                                                        I walk among them as a friend
                                                                                    And I leave as a perfect stranger                                                                                   How come I walk among them as a friend
                                                                           And I always leave as a perfect stranger?                                                                           Always a perfect stranger
                                                        I come among you as a friend
                                                         Yet I leave a perfect stranger
                                                           Always a perfect stranger   


Do I speak my mind
Or do I keep it hid?
Did I treat you kind?
I thought I did
Oh yes, I meant
To return your call
Until I fell sound asleep
Must have been all those 
        pills and alcohol
So tell the truth
Was it sad to see me fall?
You want some proof?
I can barely crawl



I come among them as a friend
And I leave as a perfect stranger
How come I walk among them as a friend
And I always leave as a perfect stranger
Always a perfect stranger
How can it be I come among you as a friend
Yet I leave a perfect stranger
Always a perfect stranger

So go on ahead
I'll meet you there
In the secret room
At the top of the stairs
With the radio
And the broken chairs
We'll draw on the walls
And sigh and stare
We'll spend some time
We'll breathe some air
We'll make paper crosses
No one can bear
And we won't break
And we won't tear
And I'll get better
Someday I'll swear
I'll learn to hope
If you'll learn to care
So you go on ahead
I'll meet you there

                                                                                     I come among you as a friend                                                                                            And I leave as a perfect stranger
                                                                              How come I walk them as a friend
                                                                   And I always leave as a perfect stranger?
                                                                                          Always a perfect stranger
                                                                 How can it be I come among you as a friend
                                                                                      Yet I leave a perfect stranger?
                                                                                           Always a perfect stranger
                                                                                        Always the perfect stranger 


No comments:

Post a Comment