Monday, August 29, 2011

Carlisle Indian

     He ran so fast no one ever saw him again
    They taught him to speak
    You are the greatest athlete in the world, 
            proclaimed the king
    Thanks, king, said he
    But Jim Thorpe don’t play here no more
    He couldn’t hit the breaking pitch, and
    He piled his Pierce Arrow into the ditch,
    Out where the Wal-mart used to be,
    And Jim Thorpe don’t play here no more
    No, and Jim Thorpe don’t drink here no more
    Someone said they saw him standing 
            in front of the cigar store
    But Jim Thorpe don’t play here no more
    No, and Jim Thorpe don’t drink here no more
    Jim Thorpe don’t drink here no more
    



Hey, Jim, where did all the Indians go?
Maybe to the Carlisle Indian School, I guess, I don’t know
Hey, Jim, where did all the buffalo go?    
Maybe to the Carlisle Indian School, I guess, I don’t know
Was that Jim Thorpe I saw out in front of the cigar store? 
No, no, Jim Thorpe don’t play here no more 
Jim Thorpe don’t drink here no more 
Well, we need a starter, tonight’s a big game 
And Chief Bender is in the Hall of Fame 
But Jim Thorpe don’t play here no more 
Jim Thorpe don’t drink here no more  
No more, no more, no more . . . 
How can you read the defense 
When there is no defense 
The rattling of the bones 
The rattling of the bones
 
They say the Indians will soon be gone 
That the red man is vanishing from this land 
The old ones say only the sky lives forever 
And I say the stars will always remember the way I ran
 
Look, a deer don’t say 
Today I’m going to run pretty 
It just runs 
And a horse doesn’t say 
Watch me run pretty 
It just runs 
And the wolf don’t say 
Today I’m going to hunt pretty 
It just hunts 
And the moon don’t say 
Tonight watch me shine so pretty 
It just shines
 
Kill the Indian, save the man . . . 
Kill the Indian, save the man  {chant throughout}

No comments:

Post a Comment